On Discovering Self

"Walk in Peace... Learn from Nature... Find Yourself...
"

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Some Of The Trees Of Bushcraft

   As I have quoted Ray Mears on the subject of Bushcraft in the "About Me" section of this blog, he speaks of finding that treasure trove of knowledge that allows us to find a kinship with the landscape. Part of that knowledge is learning about the trees that are on your landscape and how they are important to Bushcraft. I really enjoy learning all I can about the trees of Minnesota, and I use the book "Trees of Minnesota - Field Guide" written by Stan Tekiela. I have mentioned this and many of his other books in a previous post.
   Recently, I created a video for Bushclass USA for the lesson "Student Practice for Tree Identification". It required that the student identify five trees, give their common name, the scientific name, define what identifies that tree, like whether it is coniferous or deciduous, hardwood or softwood, leaf types, etc. Lastly, give at least two uses for each tree, preferably as it relates to Bushcraft. Here is the video I submitted for that class. I hope you like it.


   There are of course many more trees that are important to Bushcraft, but I just had to share a few of my favorites. I encourage you to also find time to learn the trees in your area, for in time as the wilderness becomes more known, the trees will become familiar friends. Learning how they are such a resource will make your landscape more like home. Happy Exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment